Welcome to Big Ship Copywriting
The website of Karl Van Sielman, an East London born and bred copywriter.
Portfolio, spec work and CV
See more speculative work.
- 23 Digital. Digital agency in Melbourne.
- Yoke. Creative agency in Melbourne – freelance.
- Win Technologies. In-house marketing agency for Betway, sponsors of West Ham Football Club.
- London Metropolitan University. Topics include business and management; law; languages and interpreting; computing; media, marketing and communications; mathematics; biosciences; chemical and pharmaceutical sciences; health sciences; education; health, community and youth studies; criminology and policing; politics and international relations; psychology, sociology and social policy; women and child abuse studies; architecture; art;design; English and performing arts.
- Associate Member of the Institute of Direct and Digital Marketing
- Copywriter Collective (“Europe’s leading agent for freelance advertising copywriters and creatives”)
One of my favourite advertising campaigns
One of my favourite adverts
- First Direct, “Platypus” by JWT
Mentors and inspirational figures
- My copywriting teacher, Nicolas Di Tempora (DDB Melbourne, Saatchi & Saatchi), at RMIT University
- Dave Trott, fellow East Londoner (buy and read this, this and this book)
- Indoor rock climbing
- Tag rugby
- Casual supporter of Arsenal FC / Leyton Orient FC and Hawthorn FC (Australian football)
- “Reason leads to conclusions. Emotion leads to action.” Donald Calne, Neurologist
Resources for copywriters
If you’re a copywriter, the external links at the bottom of this site lead to resources that may be of use to you. They’re a constant work in progress, so come back regularly to see the latest updates.
Get in touch
If you want to challenge me with a new brief or simply connect, then you can send a message using the contact form.
Your requests and queries will get a speedy reply.